Monday, October 8, 2007

I used to go the gym at college

I used to go to the gym at college. It was a nice gym. I didn't really know what I was doing. But I liked going. There was a girl there. I mean, really there were a lot of girls there. But there was this one in particular that I had spotted. I'd seen her around campus but not as much as I had seen her at the gym. She seemed serious, like "I'm here to get my workout on" serious. I wasn't as serious. I didn't really know what I was doing. She seemed like she did, because she was in great physical shape. I mean as far as I could tell, she was. I didn't really know what I was doing. Don't get me wrong, I was in great physical shape too. I was just a little light in the weight department. That's why I went to the gym.


Back to her. She had pretty eyes. Very sincere eyes. Very trusting eyes. Light colored eyes. Nice eyelashes on the top and bottom of those eyes. Very enticing eyes. Surrounding those pretty, sincere, trusting, light, enticing eyes was a sizeable head. And holding up that head was a very thin and slender body which is the reason why her head seemed larger than it should be. She was light in the all of the body parts departments. But inside of that body, I figured was a good soul. She seemed like good people. Now how do I find out?


Mondays passed. Tuesdays passed. Thursdays passed. I know what you're thinking...Monday, Tuesday, Thursday? What kind of schedule is that?? Well, remember earlier when I started telling this tale? I said I didn't know what I was doing? See? Told you.


So several days had passed and all I could muster up was mouthing the word "hey". Half of those hey's were inaudible. Did I mention that I was a shy dude? Well I was. Some women found it cute. Not me. Not ever. Not once.


Fate eventually had pity on me and had us arrive at the same machine at the same time. Finally. We took turns. We talked. She introduced herself first because I didn't know any better. I was shy and slow on the draw too. For the purpose of keeping her anonymous, I'm going to call her Born. (Author's note: Please don't dwell on the name. It's a code. One only myself and another can decipher).


Born was in fact, good peoples. Very smart. Very funny. Very down to earth. We spent time together. Not too much though. We still met at the gym. We met up as a group once and went to a club. We got a bite to eat a couple of times. That's it, I think. Oh yeah, we talked on the phone sometimes too.

A few weeks after we met, I found myself in a bind. I had to move out of my apartment and find somewhere else to reside. Luckily, last minute a good friend of mines gave word that his roommate was moving out and that he'd need someone to move in. Bet. Now, all I needed was some help to move and pack. Born volunteered as did my buddy along with a female acquaintance (that's another blog) of mines. Short story made even shorter. The move went well. Had to put my stuff in storage because dude I was replacing hadn't moved his stuff out yet. So for now, I was crashing on my futon in the living room.


Born was cool people. (Yes, I'm repeating myself.) Here it was that she didn't know me that well, but she was down to help me pack. Here it was that she didn't know me that well and she came by one night and lamped with me in my living room. Cool people.


Up until this point, nothing happened between us. Maybe some flirting. Maybe some "I'm interested in what you look like nude" looks. Maybe from her. Maybe from me. We were so casual and I was so not aggressive that when "it" happened, I didn't see it coming. She probably did though. I think women plan almost everything (I really do). While we sit there and pat ourselves on the back for a well executed game plan (we do), you all sit there silently and modestly knowing that it wouldn't happen if not for your green lights.


So everything is good between us. In an attempt to keep everything G-rated, I'll just say we had a nice night. We both enjoyed ourselves. Nothing awkward. Early stages of courtship, I suppose.


Maybe the weekend afterwards or the weekend following...don't remember...it was a long time ago. Me and my boys make a plan to go out. We get dressed up and hit up this monthly event that's held at a different location in the city. Around 2:30 in the morning, I get a call on my cell phone. It's Born. I answer it.


"Hello" I say.


"Hey, it's me" she replies. She asks me what I'm doing. I tell her. She tells me that she wants to see me and asks when I'll be done. Not having a definite course of action planned with my cohorts, I tell her "I'm not sure. We'll probably get something to eat once we leave here". Not satisfied with that response, she reminds me that she wants to see me. I tell her that I understand but I'm still at this party. Feeling like maybe I was brushing her off, I ask her if she is okay. "I'm fine. I just want to [insert expletive]! So what's up?"


Whoa. I didn't see that coming either. For about 2 seconds, I was at a loss for words. I offered to call her as soon as I was done. She responded with a "whatever" and a muffled click (That's how cell phones sound when you're hung up on.). So there I am, surprised with a look that falls in between puzzled and amused. I tell my crew. Everyone is having a good laugh at my expense as soon as we all realize that we can't make any sense of what just transpired. My final thought on it all was that she was trippin'. Hey, we all trip, right? Right. But the problem here was that she was tripping way too early into this thing here...this thing that we had...this early development. Whatever. I decide to give her some space. I didn't trip back. I just let her cool off.

A few days pass and she did what so many females do. She tested me.


For the record, I fail these tests on purpose. Some guys know when they're being tested. I won't go as far as to say that I always know when I'm being tested, but I have a good track record. One that I'm proud of, I might add. So here was the test. She tells me that someone she was seeing before me has contacted her saying that he's changed and wants them to try again and she doesn't know what to do. My response to her was that I understood if she wanted to get back with him.


Well. That's not what she wanted to hear because she apologizes to me a few days later for how she "treated" me and ends up buying me about 5 pairs of pants from a men's clothing store. Huh? It was cuh-razy. All in my size. All my style. 5 pairs. Full price. Causal pants. Athletic pants. Nice pants. Too many pants. I asked her...several times...why she did it. She kept saying that she wanted to do something nice for me. I told her that as touched as I was by the gesture, I couldn't accept something like that. She wouldn't take no for an answer. I wouldn't take the pants. It was like a tug-o-war. Nobody was winning. Nobody was losing. This went on for a few minutes. Getting frustrated, I made a deal with her and told her I'd take one pair. Reluctantly, she accepted.


So there we are, her put off and worried that I know what she tried to do...and me, a little disappointed in what's happened in the last 2 weeks and concerned that she might be a little off. I know, I know. You might be saying that it wasn't that serious. And that she just really liked me. Yada, yada, yada. But 5 pairs of pants?? C'mon. Where were the shirts??? LOL. Sike. But seriously though...how about an outfit or something? Who buys someone 5 halves of an ensemble? Who?

Ending a very long story, she ended up transferring to another school. She said she wanted to be closer to her brother and family. I don't really think that was the whole story but then again I didn't really know what I was doing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you know... it didn't really seem like she was trippin until she bought the 5 pairs of pants. maybe she was trying to pay you for your services. *snickers*

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

Southerngirrl said...

Glad you noticed the "red flags" .. LOL