Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ramblings On

We are all genius.

Did you get that? If not, let me break it down so that it may forever be broken...you, me, him, her, them over there by the window...all of us. Genius. Trust me. You may not see it in you. But someone else does. You may not see it in him. But he does. Really. It's that simple. The concept is a basic one, that holds truth.

But there's a catch.

This isn't one of those motivational blogs. I mean, if it motivates you then so be it. I've said things in the past that have gotten reactions I didn't make plans for so I'm not complaining.

Where's the catch, you ask?

For those of you that just know that so and so (or hell, maybe yourself) has never ever ever once displayed any type of genius – you may be absolutely correct. But get this, just because you never witnessed it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. And just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it won't. So on and so forth.

I have my own ideas of what I believe my genius to be. There are those around me who have their ideas of what they believe my genius to be too. And then there are the people who are close to me who know what my genius is whether I choose to believe it or not – because you know they always tell you. Without fail. And if you place these lists side by side, you may very well find some similarities. I've never asked so I don't really know. What I do know is, I've been in relationships* where she (the woman formerly known as the significant other) was unaware of my genius. We're talking about my genius list. Not hers.

On the one hand, I can take the full on blame for not purposely "exposing" that side of me. Or I can point an accusing finger and say it was all her fault for not noticing. And even though, that's normally not something I would do, I have to straighten the index on this one. Because what it boils down to, brass tax and all, is that I've had women that I was close to for years – emotionally, physically and spiritually – who knew less about the true essence of me than women I've just recently made acquaintances with in the past few. That has to mean something.

Why didn't she see me? That's the question for the ages. The one that will most likely never be answered. The one that resurfaces whenever someone recites from their list for me.

So, in my usual long winded way of getting to what should have been a brief statement (take this very sentence, for example), I would say to stop for a moment and listen to who is pointing out your genius to you. Not the genius on your list, but the genius on theirs. They just might be on to something. (But don't ask them, though. They're just gonna say yes anyway.)

And as far as the vice versa thing goes, I can't say for you to find someone else's genius. I don't really think it can work like that. As far as I can tell, you just....see it.



Everything I jot on the left, reads right.

*Note: I may have made it plural to protect the not-so-innocent party of whom I speak. May have. I'm clever like that.

3 comments:

Hosanna Or said...

genius.
everyone has it in them.
i agree.
and it's a lot easier and more passionate when you are with someone that you see genius in. well that is if the person notices the genius in you as well. because it sucks if they don't.

[clears throat] does this mean the keys is back on they blog shit?!!!

Mr Keys said...

@ shooting for love - Yeah, sucks is the best word for it. It's like, how long do you wait for it to happen. Y'know?

And as far as being back on my blog sht...LOL...well...it definitely feels good to be hitting the Keys again. (get it? hitting the Keys)

Mark said...

Great point. Some people notice my "genius", while others don't. I attribute this to the invisible "vibes" that we emanate. Some people pick up on our vibes......,some people, as frustrating as it is, just don't get it. Those who don't get it, are usually self-absorbed, or insecure (which I'm finding out is the inverted form of self-absorbtion) Basically, they're too busy thinking good or bad about themselves that they are not aware of their immediate environment to pay attention to the vibes of others. Lastly on this one, if I can get a little preachy for a second,....its funny that a blind beggar can recognize Jesus as the Son of God, but when the Pharisees went to capture Him to be crucified, Judas had to point Him out!!!!

As far as a companion/sig. other, I totally agree that they should recognize the genius in you. I'll take it one step further: If one wants to make them a "keeper", they ought to believe in your genius....even during a down slump!

And of course, vice-versa