Monday, February 3, 2014

Flying Saucers

I'm going to start off on a tangent but then get on track. I promise. All I ask is that you bear with me. 


I'm a man. 


I love and have played a multitude of sports. Whether organized or unorganized, I was there. One of those sports is football. I love my home team. Always have and most assuredly, always will. I've never hitched a ride on any bandwagon. If my team struggles, then I struggle. That's how it is and that's how it will always be. Everyone has their reasons to become a "fan" of whatever team they want. Some do it out of frustration. Some do it for popularity. Some do it for acceptance. Who am I to judge? 


What I will do, however, is voice my opinion  about your team. That's what men do. And I am a man. Anyone and everyone (that's a fan of Sports) has the right to opine about the teams I love. Is it sometimes hard to take? Of course. I'm not devoid of emotions. While I am a man, I am still human. With that being said, because I am a man, that means I am also an adult. And as an adult, I prefer to surround myself with individuals who share the same attribute...being an adult - whether on social media or in person. I like to leave the childish behavior for actual children - call me crazy. 


With that being said, I've been disappointed  several times this year and it's only February. All day long, I have folks all on my time line posting pics and comments about anyone and everything. From celebrities to sports teams and everything in between. On several occasions, the commentary  was directed at my own teams. What did I do? I unfollowed them.  


NOT


Come on. I'm an adult. Remember?


I did no such thing. What I did do was toss a playful barb back at them or sometimes even laughed it off. I'm grown and that's what grown people do. Or at least, that's what I thought until I found myself blocked, deleted, unfriended and unfollowed on more than one occasion. The most recent severing was yesterday. The "reason" for it is both laughable and sad at the same time. Am I hurt? Hell and no. I'm a man. What I am is disappointed that these people didn't let me know sooner that they were ultrasensitive. I could've saved all the conversations and exchanges and playful banter for a like-minded adult. Instead, I wasted time [read: YEARS]. Thanks. 


Now look. I get it. No one wants to have their character assassinated. But that's not what happened in any of these situations. People's (men and women) panties got bunched up over things that don't directly affect them. And in every case, I've sat and watched them dance all over the Internet making fun of and criticizing whomever and whatever they pleased. So to have the gall to act as if they're above it is both preposterous and laughable. I will not walk on eggshells around people like that. If you can't take it, don't dish it. Don't even serve it on an appetizer plate. You know, those little round plates that are the size of saucers? Whatever happened to saucers anyway? 


"Now take these words home and think it through or the next [blog] I write might be about you"


- Mobb Deep, 'Shook Ones Pt II'

No comments: